What is the right Caffélatex quantity for mountain, fat, road, cyclocross tyres? This question is much more complicated than it seems.
Tyre sealants are a must for the performance-oriented cyclist, to avoid unplanned stops before the finish line because of punctures. The big question is: how much sealant is the right quantity?
Parameters influencing the correct sealant quantity:
Several parameters should to be evaluated, for example:
- external humidity
- frequency of tyre inflation
… but the main factors are:
- Tyre size: section and diameter
- Tyre construction: if Tubeless, Tubeless-Ready, Tubular or Tube-type used as tubeless
With that in mind, we decided to calculate and provide our recommended sealant quantity: both as charts in this page and as a free App (for Android and iOS smartphones).
The iCaffelatex app calculates the optimal quantity of Caffélatex sealant needed per wheel, based on tyre size (diameter, width) and tyre construction (Tubeless, Tubeless-Ready, Tubular or Tube-type used as tubeless).
iCaffelatex lets you choose:
- the practice (Mountain, Road, Cyclocross)
- the Tyre Type
- the Wheel Diameter
- the Tyre Width
to calculate the optimal amount for best results. The iCaffelatex app also recognizes recent tyre categories like 26+, 29+, 650B+ and Fat.
designed for Effetto Mariposa’s Caffélatex sealant, iCaffelatex precisely calculates how much sealant per wheel you really need;
the recommended Caffélatex quantity can be considered a useful indication for most latex sealants;
provides expected Caffélatex lifespan guidelines;
user-friendly interface doesn’t require Internet access to function.
avoid carrying unnecessary weight or finding yourself without sealant when you need it: use the right quantity and know how often you need to check it.
What you need to do (as easy as “1, 2, 3”):
- read your tyre size (diameter, width) on the tyre sidewall
- know your tyre type (Tubeless, Tubular… etc)
- use iCaffelatex to see precisely how much Caffélatex you need!
Sealant quantity and expected lifespan:
sealant lifespan inside tyres is directly related to the quantity. Reducing the quantity of sealant will reduce its ability to repair punctures, but also its lifespan. Sealant evaporation through tyre casing is unavoidable, and at a certain point there will be hardly any liquid inside the tyres, so no active puncture protection.
For this reason, regular checks and top-ups of sealant are strongly recommended.
Using our suggested quantities, the expected Caffélatex lifespan is:
- Tubular (or Caffélatex inserted into latex/butyl inner tube): up to 1 year
- UST Tubeless tyre: 2-6 months
- Tubeless-Ready tyre: 1-4 months
- Tube-Type tyre (used as Tubeless): 1-3 months